Wednesday, December 7, 2011

If You Say So... and Then I Did it Anyway

I'm sure many of you have heard of the recent demands made by the FDA for homeopathic HCG to be recalled. I have many reasons to be skeptical of the FDAs judgement, but Fen-Phen is the first to mind and most relevant to this post.

Fen-Phen was FDA-approved. No - Really.

Though the FDAs response is directed at homeopathic HCG - they make many claims that Rx HCG does not assist in weight loss. This video wants you to believe that you will be eating two bits of broccoli for a day and this MUST be why you'd see weight loss. (Seriously - why the theatrics?)

Here is a picture of a REAL meal on the HCG diet

And for kicks - a picture of a real meal on Weight Watchers
(I ate this in November 2007. Tracked it and everything.)


A few of my thoughts -

"...there are sensible ways to lose weight. These include balanced diets, exercising and realistic goals."
While on Weight Watchers - it is true that I lost weight. However, even the new and improved Weight Watchers (probably the closest diet plan to what the FDA is recommending) left me with less muscle and the same amount of fat. My belly hung like an empty kangaroo pouch over my waistband. I felt tired and crabby and irritable and HUNGRY. On HCG - my fatty areas (thighs, belly, arms) are smaller and firmer. I have energy and rarely have hunger pains - I am still crabby... But I'm beginning to suspect this is just who I am and that it is unrelated to my weight loss or gains. ;) On HCG - when I do experience a twinge of hunger - it is very close to lunchtime and my lunch/dinner often fills me so full that I can not finish my plate. The same could never be said for a meal on Weight Watchers. I always wanted more.

"...direct users to follow a severely restrictive diet."
My diet on HCG is restrictive. But - it is far more balanced than what I ate on Weight Watchers. I eat far more lean protein and vegetables than I ever did on Weight Watchers.

“But the data simply does not support [HCG as a weight loss tool]; any loss is from severe calorie restriction. Not from the HCG.”
I beg to differ. I am the data. My fellow HCG-dieters (who follow Dr. Simeon's protocol) are the data. We are seeing results and we are all veteran dieters who have many other diet plans in our experience to compare our results to. HCG is the difference between starving (literally. Without HCG to assist in utilizing your abnormal fat storage - you would be starving on 500 calories a day) and feeling satisfied (NOT hungry) and staying with it.

“[There] is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or ‘normal’ distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”
I am the evidence.

(I can't believe I'm showing you these...)

My belly fat on Weight Watchers

My belly fat on HCG

The difference in scale weight is less than 3 pounds between these two pictures. But if you would like to argue that the topmost picture shows any kind of re-shaping, you should probably utilize your back-button and find a different blog to read. The picture on the bottom is the evidence, data, proof, whatever you want to call it - that HCG is indeed re-shaping my body and using up my useless fat storage.

I've read Dr. Simeon's manuscript cover to cover - twice. I'll probably read it again when I begin my next round of HCG. Even if I didn't understand WHY it works - I can see that it works.

I guess I'm also lucky that I have no gallbladder - wouldn't want any pesky gallstones from the FDA-approved fertility drug. :P